The Board’s Family and Community Engagement Committee, met on Wednesday, October 12 @ 5 p.m. This was the first meeting of the year with members joining me in person. This year we have members from different backgrounds (parents, community members, district staff etc.) and for the first time after so long a student representative.
We started the meeting with an overview of the LAUSD Compensatory Education Plan. The next dates when this plan will be presented to the public is:
- October 18, 2022 at the CAC Meeting
- November 10, 2022 at the PAC Meeting
- November 17,2022 at the DELAC Meeting
For our second agenda item, Dr. Chau, Senior Executive Director, Strategy & Innovation presented on the District’s LCAP Parent & Family Engagement Feedback Opportunity for School Staffing Equity Grant. The presentation provided an overview of the Local Control and Accountability Plan, what’s included in the plan and how it is funded.
- The district allocates over $6.46 billion in LCFF funds to support action implementation in 2021-2022.
- For 2022, there are a total of 9 LCAP Goals, 70 Metrics and 81 Actions.
- We are partnering with our communities to update the LCAP for the 2023-2024 school year and align it to the Strategic Plan Pillars.
- Members of the public can submit their feedback by completing the survey at: https://tinyurl.com/StaffingEquityGrant2023
For the third presentation, Ms. Escudero, Executive Director Division of Student Health and Human Services and Ms. San Jose, SHHS Psychiatric Social Worker provided an overview of the Roadmap for Wellness, Social Emotional Learning and Student Achievement, Volume 2.
- Last year, the district launched Volume 1 of the Roadmap for Wellness as well as an Educator Roadmap. This new roadmap will be translated and added to the SHHS website in the next few weeks.
- The Parent/Caregiver edition gives parents/caregivers tools to support their child’s resilience: sense of safety, connectedness, self-efficacy, community efficacy, ability to be calm and hope.
- This week, Volume 2 of the Educator Roadmap was approved by the Superintendent. The Educators edition helps school site personnel support students and staff wellness and resilience through a plethora of classroom-ready lessons, activities, videos, and resources.
- All elements of the plan are embedded in everything the district does to support our students and families.
Lastly, for our last agenda item, committee members provided recommendations on the topics they would like to see discussed in future committee meetings. The summary of the topics was:
- Parent Involvement around:
- Budget Development, Norming, Financial Literacy, Drug Prevention, Protocols to Inform New Incoming Kinder Parents/Consistent Communication from the District and Making Families Feel Welcomed
- Overview of Facilities Protocols, Projects and Costs
- Buzzer Systems, Shade Structures, Water Filling Stations
- General Covid Health and Safety Protocols
- Testing/Precautions upon returning from winter break, spring break to prevent outbreaks
For those of you that are interested, you can review the agenda and materials by visiting: https://achieve.lausd.net/Page/18628#calendar73805/20221013/event/65273
The next meeting will be on Wednesday, December 7, 2022 at 5 p.m.