The Board’s Family and Community Engagement Committee met on Wednesday, April 12, 2023 @ 5 p.m.
Support Welcoming School Environments.
- During this presentation we learned how our school leaders are aligning services and supports to better support our students and families.
- The school volunteer program is rapidly increasing year to year. We are aligning set professional development to support school staff with the assistance from HR.
- All schools have at least one day of School Nurse time. Each region has a nursing administrator who oversees nursing services within the specific region.
- The Student and Family Wellness Hotline has received over 13,000 calls a year.
- The Board and the District has allocated funding set aside to rebuild Family Engagement, a total of $6.7 million in one-time funds which are distributed to all schools.
- We learned that the District has a calendar for the entire 2023-2024 school year, in which they will cover training modules for staff, students and parents.
- Through the Los Angeles Schools Anonymous Reporting (LASAR) application, 43% of the 103 calls have been related to safety threats and 22% of the calls have been related to drugs and narcotics.
- The District has a mobile application for school safety where LASPD and school site administrators are alerted of an emergency situation at a school.
- The district offers an anger management program for K-3rd grade. Beginning in the 2023-2024 school year, LASPD will re-introduce the Explorer Program.
- Request for District to create a page of mental health assistance resources for adults so schools and offices can post in a central location (in-person or online)
- Request for District commitment to analyze calls to the Student and Family Wellness Hotline and to LASPD for mental health needs and services. The Committee is interested in learning how the District can build capacity for the types of services frequently dispatched.
- Request for District to share answers to FAQs to help parents and community members understand who to contact for their needs/concerns at their school sites?
- How can the District partner with the City of LA or other agencies to increase awareness of LASAR?
The next meeting will be on Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 5 p.m.