Here are some of the items that were approved at the 8/22/23 meeting of the Board.
Funding for the following projects for BD3 schools was approved:
- Pomelo Community Charter Elementary School: Project to Provide Playground and Campus Exterior Upgrades and Slope Remediation
- Colfax Charter Elementary School – Project to Provide Playground and Campus Exterior Upgrades
- Sustainable Environment Enhancement Developments for Schools (SEEDS) Projects – Limerick Avenue ES– Partner Organization Enrich LA, and Sylvan Park Elementary School
- Facilities Priority Projects at Darby ES, Parthenia ES, Stagg ES.
- School Upgrade Program for Kester Avenue Elementary– to provide Playground and Campus Exterior Upgrades and New Underground Utilities
The Board heard an update about the Hydration Station Initiative Program. In partnership with LADWP the program was established to increase access to clean drinking water, improve confidence in tap water, inform consumers of benefits, reduce single use plastic bottle waste and promote healthy drinking water practices. Program includes installation of water bottle filling stations, remediation of drinking water fountains to bring lead levels to below 5 ppb at all Early Ed Centers, Special Education Centers, and Elementary Schools. The program has completed upgrades and hydration stations at 140 schools.
The Board approved, among others, two resolutions I authored to:
- Recognize Suicide Prevention and Awareness Month – to encourages all students, faculty, administrators and parents to promote a climate of positive behavior support and intervention; monitor students’ emotional state and well-being; and make referrals for crisis support and mental health, (Press Release)
- Commemorate National Read a Book Day on Sept 6th to emphasize the importance of reading beyond the classroom (Text of Resolution).
The Board also approved an important resolution to Celebrate Labor Day and Champion Los Angeles’ Workforce (Press Release).